The roots of the osteopathic medicine date back to 1874, when an American physician Andrew Taylor Still (1828-1912) defined osteopathy as a method to improve the conventional medicine. Within a short period of time, A.Taylor Still founded Kirksville College, which became one of the largest centres of education and scientific research in the field of osteopathy in the USA. In order to differentiate his method from the classical concept of medical science, he coined the title of D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy), so that the graduates of his college used it instead of the title of M.D. (Medical Doctor). The British School of Osteopathy, founded by one of Still's students in London, was the first osteopathic teaching centre in the old continent. Other schools were subsequently opening in Belgium, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Portugal, Austria, France, and Italy. In 2008, the School of Osteopathy in Wrocław opened up, with a teaching curriculum compliant with the OSEAN standards.